Welcome to Discourse

This forum is the place to talk about NomadBSD, seek for technical advice and tell others how much you like NomadBSD. :slight_smile:

Seasoned Linux user. NomadBSD shows a lot of promise as heir to beloved PC-BSD 7.1. Still addressing issues with WifI…Broadcom/Apple etc. Got sound to work albeit through the headphone 3.5mm jack port on a MacBook Pro 15¨ Mid 2015, 16GB RAM Intel i7 4770HQ 512GB running from a SanDisk Ultra 64GB USB 3.0 flash drive. NomadBSD has the potential of becoming the LinuxMint of the desktop FreeBSD world. Compliments to the devs.

5 Likes

yes , i agree.
everything works in nomadbsd.
just looking action videos on nomadbsd UNIX OS with drinks and potato chips.
want a drink ?

1 Like

…a drink? Quaffing a Guinness as we chat. (Incidentallly, a favourite drink of a man called Linus Torvalds.) Loving NomadBSD. Most things work not all. But that’s OK. That’ s we our DIY spirit comes into play. For example, I got sound to work on an awkward MacBook Pro my using code I learned form the FreeBSD Handbook;

as root

kldload snd_driver

in /boot/loader.conf

snd_hda_load="YES) ( That’s if you’re sound card is Intel High Definition Audio)

Queried pcm by this code:

dmesg | grep pcm.

This usually shows what’s available and you can manually nominate the device.
Linux Mint is legendary in that none of this required…Linux is now so easy to use Granny will have no problem. It is still technically involved for those who love technical challenges.(Us). It’s nice to have this dual-nature.
FreeBSD is still very much for engineers and the high computer cognoscenti. Look at the OpenBSD crowd. Ruthless!!!
NomadBSD is a refreshing deviatiion I think.

1 Like

hi , UNIX fellers ,

here you see my mobile rucksack on the right.

NOMAD BSD is running from external bootable HD. not installed. the small HD is runder the screen.

In this case i have srewed the holder on the screen.

For mobile rucksack only the screen comes into it.

You see the small thinclient that is able to run BSD in a smooth manner.

On the left you see many USB sticks. There are many experimentable bootable OS for urgency matters.

repairing boot stick like hiren etc.

a complete office in a rucksack !!! document scanner comes for final step.

Kindly Regards

SM

PS. NomadBSd is a huge range better than linux or windows in operation. It’s even a direct brother of FREEBSD.

3 Likes

It is and also very distinguished!

bsdinfo

:heart: NOMADBSD :wink:

:maté:

3 Likes

Wow, that is some setup Senenmut! I too have multiple USB flash drives in a small acrylic desk drawer with Linux, NomadBSD and GhostBSD installations and clones( using dd-, dd if=/devda0 of=/dev/da1 bs=10M, that approach etc.
My set up is a more muted affair. MacBook Pros 15¨ and 13¨ and two 12 year old Netbooks running 32bit versions of NomadBSD…, running very well under 2GB of RAM and Intel Atom processors!

But NomadBSD does shine on the Macs, which after all run on a cannibalised form of BSD (Darwin).

The above is my own handiwork with Tux the Linux Penguin looking on approvingly in nomadic garb. Beastie looks on…wide-eyed. Linux and BSD…UNIX lives.
Love the terminal to death, but it is nice to have the option of eye-candy as an antidote.

5 Likes

Tux even wears a face mask! :grin:

1 Like

Tux in a mask! Yes, you could say that. Or Tux as a nomad…Linux has its own persistence distros too (Puppy Linux for example). Linux or BSD both gone in the right direction. Nice to have this variety. The big giants Microsoft and Apple have no such thing going on at the moment…they want your data on some unspecified server…somewhere…accessible by…who knows…
It’s called the Cloud.

1 Like

NomadBSD absolutely operates faster on my two computers than any other operating systems around, and I have tried them all.

4 Likes

That is beautiful artwork.

1 Like

Hi, Donald.
Glad you like the art work. I have much more featuring Beastie and Tux. As you can probably gather, I use Linux also.

I would agree with that. I run NomadBSD 1.3.2 32bit on two netbooks running Intel Atom Processors (Samsung NC10 and Acer Aspire One) with only a gigabyte of RAM. They both run acceptably well even though they are around thirteen years old. They also run Linux Mint 19.3 32bit edition.
But NomadBSD shines on my MacBook Pro 15¨ 16GB RAM, i7 HQ4770…,Linux Mint, however, outshines it in several key respects. But this is because the pace of development in the BSD world is somewhat slower with emphasis on security and stability being key.
So far, I am pleased with NomadBSD. (and GhostBSD too!) They are fit heirs to what PC-BSD was. MacOS may officially be a UNIX, that is, built on BSD components with a similar file hierarchy and system calls…but it is also a world of restriction.

2 Likes

Happy New Year, LinBSD. I have two desktops and a laptop. I have never been able to get the sound to work on GhostBSD or FreeBSD, but it works beautifully on NomadBSD. I just updated to FreeBSD 12.2 and it works perfectly. I’ve kind of given up on running Linux on my computers. Most of my dismay come over the desktop issues. While KDE is a wonderful desktop, their programs don’t work well. Kmail and their Kontact programs are prime examples of what I am disappointed with. For me, NomadBSD is the best of all of the operating systems that I have run since 1979 when I bought my first Commador 64. Things have really changed since 1979. Happy New Year to you and yours!

Thanks Donald, happy returns to you too. Sorry to hear about your sound woes with FreeBSD/GhostBSD. I myself encountered a few brick walls of the same kind. In my case (in GhostBSD 20)I had no sound on my MacBook Pro Mid 2015 even though drivers were enabled in /boot/loader.conf (ie snd_driver_load=YES). I got sound but only through the headphone port through typing this code:

sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=2

(several "units were named and numbered ie pcm 0, pcm 1 etc) and the headphone port supplies sound through a 3.5mm aux speaker I had lying around.
This is one of the more annoying features of the FreeBSD phenomenon; simple things are sometimes a hassle to accomplish. Luckily, my Linux distros work right out of the box on the same machine. Like you I loved KDE, but found GNOME more stable.
NomadBSD shows a lot of promise. I hope it does become a replacement,in my case, for PCBSD 7.1 which worked very well when I first used it around thirteen years ago on netbooks when they were the rage.

1 Like

I loved PC-BSD also. I can do anything in NomadBSD that can be done in FreeBSD, as far as I know. I can use the KDE, Gnome, Mate, or XFCE for a desktop system because it is already setup. All you have to do is open existing files, undo the “#” mark and hash the current line and restart the system. Yes, NomadBSD is the KISS System at its best. LOL

1 Like

Being a complete dimwit as far as anything outside of Windows goes … it is really quite amazing to see NomadBSD 1.4 work as well as it does on my old 2015 Lenovo G50-80 in spite of it having absolutely no hard drive along with a host of motherboard issues. Congratulations on assembling such an outstanding distro. Although I’m still pretty much a glassy-eyed beginner … I am enjoying the experience and hope to continue learning much more as I go.

3 Likes

Like you, I have used PC-BSD in the past and of the BSD varieties that have been around a really long time, I felt that PC-BSD brought simplicity into the equation.

With NomadBSD available along with a few other more recent additions, the BSD community offers viable alternatives to the many popular Linux distributions.

As far as system tuning goes, the majority of the BSD distributions I have tried in the past, except for PC-BSD seemed to be optimal as server systems. This is not to suggest that they could not also function as interactive systems, they simply weren’t, by default, optimized to favor interactive use over server use.

Perhaps others can contribute on this matter; what I’ve recently learned is that process scheduling algorithms with a lower frequency favor server use and higher scheduling frequencies favor interactive use; a number somewhere in between results in a good “compromise” for either interactive or server workloads but is not optimal for either.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated (unless they are considered a “digression” from the overall topic, in which case they can be shared elsewhere.

Hi all! I installed NomadBSD about a week ago to a Sandisk 8GB USB memory stick, hoping to use it for a Unix Workbench course I am taking on Coursera. As it turned out, my everyday pc (an HP Probook 450 G8) would not boot NomadBSD and so I had to change plans and use Ubuntu installed to WSL instead for the Workbench course, but am enjoying exploring NomadBSD on a Lenovo Thinkpad x270 with a broken display to which I have connected an external display. I love how NomadBSD looks, and am amazed at how quickly programs like Gimp and Audacity boots up on it compared to how they used to boot on Windows. Thank you NomadBSD developers for the fine work that you have done. I am going to enjoy learning more about FreeBSD in the coming months!

3 Likes

Your are all invited to join the chat on:

https://kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.libera.chat/?channels=#nomadbsd

and for more details, just technical questions about BSD:

https://kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.libera.chat/?channels=#freebsd

FreeBSD has excellent drivers for notebook.
However the desktop of NetBSD is far better. It will work out of the box, while on FreeBSD not.