Why FreeBSD fails miserably as a Desktop

I decided to install FreeBSD on my laptop with 2 x SSD’s one of which is a NVE 256GB. I had to purchase a USB wifi dongle the one I decided after reading approps was a WN111v2 from NetGear it works fine but will bitch about something if I download something quick however the download will still resume so editing syslogd to stop dumping crap to the console fixed it.

My laptop uses a Nvidia which is nice that I don’t need to use some crappy intel driver. However the fact that I have to spend an hr building and install nvidia drivers then compiling the nvidia-xsettings port and then adding a few args to load the GLX drivers I managed to get X working. Why do I have to spend all this time setting up nvidia when it takes 5-10 mins on a Linux Distro? why do I have to even bother to compile nvidia from the ports system? The fact that the ports system has a license system should be enough to get nvidia as a base driver instead of a port. This is a perfect example as to why FreeBSD fails as a Desktop. Surely my current system works but not without a few hours of dickering around drivers, xorg config files and dickering around with ports just to get functionality that is either done so as default in Linux distros or done with little effort using a GUI program to install prop drivers. Something that isn’t an issue as I know what I am doing but for Mr average joe it is or would be hard.

Edit: using pkg installs a nvidia and friends but it’s not the latest so a recompile is needed. the actual command used is:

pkg install xorg kde5 tmux vim-console nvidia-drivers nvidia-xconfig && nvidia-xconfig -arg1 -arg2

I’m interested to know why our script for loading the Nvidia driver failed on your system. If possible use a freshly setup NomadBSD 1.3.1 to reproduce it. Check for any error messages after running the graphics driver menu, and send us the output of kldstat, and pciconf -lv | grep -B3 display, and the content of /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

1 Like

I just gave up, been using the Mac Mini more and more. spending hours trying to get a decent X setup on modern HW is getting harder and harder as FreeBSD lacks in support and I refuse to use Linux as I am strongly apposed to the GPL. Companies use FreeBSD for a reason it’s not for the HW support it’s for the fact that companies do not need to release source code for there procducts like the do with the GPL. This is why the requested output was never submitted.

spending hours trying to get a decent X setup on modern HW is getting harder and harder as FreeBSD lacks in support

On both Linux and BSD it’s better to choose 3-5 years old computers for best hardware compatibility.

However the fact that I have to spend an hr building and install nvidia drivers then compiling the nvidia-xsettings port

Did you tried to boot NomadBSD with out-of-the-box Nvidia proprietary driver?

I was just curious how this Legion gaming laptop would perform with FreeBSD.

I did not care enough when I realized my wifi card required my backup option.

However don’t feel bad my router still runs OpenBSD like it did since 1999 and my VPS still runs FreeBSD 12.1

Just my tuppence worth…
I bought a used desktop computer that came with a slightly older Nvidia graphics card. i used this to connect to a monitor.
I tried FreeBSD, Ghost BSD and FuryBSD and had problems with them all, i’m an inept newbie.
Anyway i tried NomadBSD and it just worked (graphics side, still struggling with sound). It looks crisp and smart straight out of the box, loving it so far

2 Likes

The fact that you have issues with sound proves the title of this post.