Write failed, filesystem is full

Hi again…

I’m not sure, but I might be tripping across the same problem I did before, but as I’m not sure… I thought it best to start a new thread… My apologies in advance if I’m being a bother.

So… I installed wine and winetricks from root using pkg install and when winetricks tried to update to run it comes up with the captioned error “write failed, filesystem is full”. I’m guessing but this sounds like I hit the space limit on the “/” partition again because there’s still space on the thumbdrive.

Is this what happened? And is there a workaround? I’m guessing that I should uninstall wine and winetricks and then somehow install it on the user partition? Would OctoPKG have done this better? And going forward how can I avoid the same mistake?

Again thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

Did you run winetricks as root?

If you install packages they will use space from /home anyway. If I understand your problem correctly, the problem occurred when running winetricks, not when installing it, right?

What does df -h say?

Thank you for your kind response:

Actually the issue happened when I was installing winetricks on the 32 bit version of NomadBSD. But the saga continues… So when booting up my test laptop, a Dell Vostro | 1220 I noticed it was throwing lots of “Bwn0: failed to switch channel” errors on boot up and shut down… (no clue if that’s normal or bad) but otherwise it seems to run fine except that it has no sound… (a problem for another day).

So I pulled out another test laptop from my parts bin… a Dell Inspiron B130 which actually works fine in 32 bit NomadBSD, except it is slow as sin, and is calling for “Needs multicast update callback” and the touchpad takes 60% cpu… which I decided was not optimal… (Another problem for another day)

In any case I finally came across a Dell Inspiron N4010 that has absolutely no issues with NomadBSD in 32 or 64 bit versions and the wine and winetricks install went perfectly for the 32 bit version and it seems to launch fine… again on the 32 bit version…

So the issue was mostly hardware incompatibility as far as I can tell. (back to issue for another day)

However using the 64 bit version of NetBSD Wine and winetricks loaded but will not run on the PC that doesn’t seem to have any issues with either version of NomadBSD.

I’m getting the following error message when I try and run wine or winetricks in 64 bit NomadBSD:

ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found, error 8

when I run a whereis it says that the program is at

usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 /usr/share/man/man1/ld-elf.so.1.1.gz

Any ideas about what I’m doing wrong?

Note I ran freeBSD-update on both systems and the 32 bit version updated to P9 while the 64 bit version updated to P10 if that matters.

I’m working on basically two priorities… first to learn NomadBSD & FreeBSD in general and secondly to have a useful thumbdrive OS that can work on as many of the different laptops and PC’s as I have around my office and take in for service. Also of course to see if I can bring some older hardware back to useful life.

Again thank you for your help.

It’s probably due to old files (maybe from Audacity) in /var/tmp taking up the space on /. But it’s hard to tell without any data.