Wifi card not working

l installed nomad bsd 1.4 but wifi dont work. l have 2 computers and the wifi cards are:
Cudy we300
Tenda w322E
How to start they?
Thanks
Csaba

For mine, I just clicked on the small x up by the clock, you can then set them up from the drop down menu.

The drop down menu is gray at me: l cant click it! l can click only for close button :frowning_face:

Sounds like your wifi chip isn’t supported - you may need to use an external USB wifi.

I’m not very familiar with FreeBSD, but you may be able to add your wifi driver from the repository, either NomadBSD or FreeBSD.

l found this: D-Link DWA-123 Wireless N 150 Adapter (rev.D1)
Name: D-Link DWA-123 rev D1
l hope this will work?!
But this model not listed on free bsd home site.
I found another D-Link DWA-131. Already this will be good?

Yes, use https://bsd-hardware.info or https://linux-hardware.org to catalog your devices to see if there are BSD or Linux device drivers for them.

usbconfig list
pciconf -lv
usbconfig -d genx.y dump_device_desc     where x and y are numbers

dmesg | tail -20

Thanks! l will buy it and try nomad (and other bsd’s)!
l already learnt linux l use fedora but beginner at bsd.

l bought the D-Link DWA-131 wifi adapter. l try to use on my weaker pc but unsuccessfully. l plugged it in but small network window in the upper right corner of the taskbar does nothing! l click it and it says close or enable wifi. l enable wifi connection but after this it does nothing or 1x the password window popped up and l entered the wifi password but no internet was created. The windows disappeard and l didnt find any settings option nowhere. In worse case, the network icon doesn’t even do anything when I click on it. Or if I plug in the wifi card again, the nomad bsd freezes!
What next?

I’ve had the same problem because I had no wpa_supplicant.conf. I followed the handbook and it was fixed soon.
Maybe it is not so difficult to handle. Try the handbook:
Quick start with Wi-Fi and WPA2/PSK

Thanks for the quick response. I’ve only tried this in live mode, but I think I should install bsd?

That should not be necessary. NomadBSD is installed on your USB device. An installation to your harddisk or even installation of FreeBSD on your harddisk will not change much.
The best is to follow the pretty good handbook of FreeBSD. In BSD, sometimes you better use the terminal to fix problems, and it is a good idea to start with the official handbook. Maybe you can get your device to work.
FreeBSD has now a fresh release of FreeBSD 13.2 while NomadBSD is on 13.1. But NomadBSD should come soon to 13.2. You can try to install FreeBSD on your disk, but be aware that you need to use the terminal. You can also try GhostBSD, which is built on FreeBSD as well, and it has a graphical installer for desktop use.
I would stay with NomadBSD. It is the “easiest” BSD, as far as I know because most devices are recognized on booting.

1 Like

Here are 2 forum posts with step by step that you can follow to make a manual Wifi connection on FreeBSD, NomadBSD, GhostBSD
Edimax EW7811un RTL8192cu chipset manual wifi setup
RTL8188ce PCI chip manual wifi setup

The FreeBSD Handbook chapter 33 is good too.