Ventoy usb with nomadbsd

can i use nomadbsd whith ventoy or will it create problems cause i need to create a bootable linux os for college and i dont want to delete my ventoy usb.

Kind of a multi-faceted question …

For college work, to reduce the risk of loss - remove unnecessary variables like the Ventoy multibooter, and simply make a dedicated NomadBSD stick following the instructions here:

https://nomadbsd.org/download.html

If you are coming from a Windows environment, the easiest solution is to use Balena Etcher after you have downloaded NomadBSD.

The major purpose of Ventoy is to be a “multi-booter” of images and isos on a stick, and to be able to “distro hop” amongst them.

And while some will boot, depending on how their live-system works, you may not be able to save any data unless you always save your data to an external device. Now you are carrying two sticks. :slight_smile:

Because usb sticks are so inexpensive these days - even the good quality ones, the safest bet for college work is to simply carry around a few sticks dedicated to their system’s purpose using their own installation techniques, which in many cases is made very simple by Balena Etcher. There are others, but the skill level needed is reduced to at least get you on board very quickly.

1 Like

Another method to carry a NomadBSD installation is to write the NomadBSD image to an (micro)SD card and boot it up from there. You may also need a USB adapter for this (micro)SD card. If you have a microSD card though and you want to plug it into your USB adapter, make sure to put this into the cosupplied microSD to SDXC card adapter before you actually put this into the USB adapter itself. Then you may also carry your Ventoy USB flash drive as it is without changes.

1 Like

I would like to warn against the use of Balena Etcher. While I have used it successfully in the past, the last version that I downloaded and used (about a month ago), completely rendered two Me.2 SSDs (dual boot) unusable and work is still being done to try to get my computer, including UEFI BIOS back in shape after serious corruption issues. Yes, I downloaded from the official site.