User creation with Active Directory

Hi guys, I have a recent NomadBSD, installed into Virtualbox upgraded to FreeBSD 13.1 and I activated login via AD/Winbind, basically following this tutorial: FreeBSD: Setup Samba as an AD Domain Member – Blog of Kliment Andreev – A place so I won't forget things

Login works but I’m struggeling a bit with the permissions necessary to make an AD user a fully working NomadBSD user.
I tried to rebuild what the officail user creation tool does (as it doesn’t accept “@” in user names) but that’s a bit cumbersome.
I can basically use the AD users but there are still error messages, e.g. from VBoxClient, which seem to come.from missing (file) permissions, e.g. in the home folders.

So my question is: Does anyone know (and can explain in a few words / supply.a link) how the whole user setup works? Basically: Make sure a n AD users gets…a), b) c) . in order to use the desktop.

Thx in advance
Betzi

Sounds like a permissions issue. Try changing ownership of the directories/files affected (chown) to your user or adding your user to the “wheel” group. Sometimes when installing certain software applications or building from source, people install them using root or in a directory above the user’s home directory, which means the user itself does not have permission to access that directory, because it belongs to root or does not exist in that user’s domain. That may result in the error message you are getting for VB.

The user setup is normal FreeBSD, so you can look up the FreeBSD documentation, which is very well written. Essentially, every user should belong to one or more groups. These groups have access to certain functions and applications. It allows an admin to categorize users and allow/not allow their access to functions that could affect the entire system. You, as the admin, create custom groups with custom access. The wheel group is for admin types and gives access to all admin functions including sudo for root functions.

Also, particular files may be given permissions, such as r, rw, rwx, which in FreeBSD can also mean a number value, but I can’t recall the digits right now.

I hope that is what you were asking for.