Updated all packages and got black desktop

I installed the most recent NomadBSD image (nomadbsd-130R-20210508.amd64.img) to a Samsung Fit 128GB USB memory stick via Rufus-3.16 and then used OctoPkg to update all 400 something packages that had updates.

I was surprised to get a black screen, with just an arrow pointer in the middle of it. I then found that alt-F2 commandline worked, and then found that right click menu allowed me to boot up firefox, gimp etc so I guessed that it was just something gone awry with the desktop manager.

I then googled around for a solution and found the reddit thread with a link to “NomadBSD 130R-20210508 Errata”, after which it was a simple matter to do

pkg install py38-xdg

and reboot. This fixed the glitch and now I have the desktop back again. Hooray! However, when I did the pkg install, I got the following error message:

[4/4] Installing e2fsprogs-nobootfsck-1.46.4_1…
pkg: e2fsprogs-nobootfsck-1.46.4_1 conflicts with e2fsprogs-1.46.2 (installs files into the same place). Problematic file: /usr/local/bin/chattr

Can I safely ignore this? Or is there something I can do to make the error go away? Thanks for your help!

1 Like
# pkg unlock e2fsprogs
# pkg delete e2fsprogs
# pkg install e2fsprogs-nobootfsck

UPDATE:

After a test I realized it’s better to unlock the package and continue the upgrade:

# pkg unlock e2fsprogs
# pkg upgrade

Deleting e2fsprogs will remove packages that depend on it, which you probably don’t want.

2 Likes

Could I remove all e2fsprogs* while I am a happy user of ZFS? From HDD, not from USB.

See UPDATE in my previous post. If you don’t need the programs which depend on e2fsprogs, and you don’t intend to mount media containing an Ext* filesystem, you can remove the package.

1 Like

Ooops… I guess if something doesn’t work I can always re-update the relevant bits and pieces

In case you deinstalled the packages depending on e2fsprogs:

# pkg install dsbmc
1 Like

Thank you!