Thinkpad Suspend/Resume

Hello,

I’ve been running NomadBSD on my Thinkpad X260. And the only issue I have is that the suspend/resume is giving me a little havoc. The display will stay on when I close the lid or if I suspend it will lock and force a reboot. So I basically shut it down when I move locations.

Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, this is only slightly helpful.

On my Thinkpad Yoga S1 (ancient model) Suspend/resume from the plank-menu (leave) works fine. My only gripe is, there’s no login-screen when resuming - it starts right at the desktop. But it hasn’t bothered me enough to make me search for the solution.

If googling isn’t of any help, then maybe you can find some tips reading in Vermaden’s FreeBSD Desktop (a collection of articles about setting up a FreeBSD desktop on a Thinkpad). They have been very useful to me at times.

1 Like

Have a look at Vermaden’s The Power to Serve – FreeBSD Power Management

Here’s the highlights:

• power off devices without attached driver
  • scale CPU frequency and power
  • supports CPU sleep states (C1/C1E/C2/C3/…)
  • enabling/disabling Turbo Mode available in most CPUs
  • per USB device power management options
  • SATA/AHCI channels/controllers power management
  • limit of wakeups/interrupts to increase idle time
  • suspend/resume support (along with using laptop lid for it)
  • support for vendor specific tools that help to measure power management
  • tools and ACPI support for fan speed control
  • tools and ACPI support for setting screen brightness
  • battery capacity status and running time estimation
  • network interfaces power saving options

PS.
At some point I learned that an active sound-driver can prevent FreeBSD from suspending…
Maybe that piece of info is outdated, Start with the obvious :wink:

1 Like

Works on my X201, straight out of the box

Thanks for the suggestions/help I got it working by doing through the power management link. :smiley: Thanks again for the support. The help here is so much better than asking a question to an Arch user. Even after spending day of research trying to get an answer. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

1 Like

The vermaden article is flawless and works perfectly on my Dell inspiron 5593 ↓

Suspend and Resume

The biggest enemies of supend/resume mechanism are bugs in your BIOS/UEFI firmware for your hardware. Sometimes disabling Bluetooth helps – that is the option for ThinkPad T420s for example. To check which suspend modes are supported on your system check the hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state MIB from sysctl(8) subsystem.

% sysctl hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state
hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S3 S4 S5

To enter ACPI S3 sleep state (suspend) you can use acpiconf(8) tool or zzz(8) tool.

# zzz

… or with acpiconf(8) tool.

# acpiconf -s 3

Its exactly the same as stated in the zzz(8) man page.

You can also set sysctl(8) value that everytime you close your laptop lid your system will go to sleep. To achieve that put hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3 into the /etc/sysctl.conf file. No matter if you put you hardware to sleep by command or by closing the lid your laptop will resume after opening the lid. Of course if you haven’t closed the lid after the zzz(8) command you will either have to close and open the lid or push the power button to resume. Of course you may also suspend/resume desktops or even your backup server if it has its purpose. It’s not limited to laptops only.