(Solved) No display in FreeBSD 14, but works just fine in NomadBSD and GhostBSD

This is my first install of vanilla FreeBSD 14, and I am trying to figure out why I can’t get my graphics card to work with the install, but the card works just fine with NomadBSD and GhostBSD.

My computer is a so called Lenovo IdeaCentre Gaming5, with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER graphics card. I have installed the nvidia-driver-470 and I have tried both:

# sysrc kld_list+=nvidia-modeset

and

# sysrc kld_list+=nvidia
# kldstat

appears to show that both commands load the nvidia drivers, however with xorg and cwm installed (simple test case) I get the following error message in both instances:

Fatal server error:
(EE) Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs for all framebuffer devices
Please consult the X.Org Foundation support at http://wiki.x.org for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

What is framebuffer mode, and how do I solve this issue, which does not exist in NomadBSD or GhostBSD? I am completely baffled.

Edit ----

kldload shows that the nvidia module is loaded in the kernel, but /var/log/Xorg.0.log contains no mention of nvidia.

Here is the solution that worked for me. Hopefully I will save someone from the agony of going days on end, reinstalling FreeBSD 14, NomadBSD and GhostBSD to try and figure out what was going on:

# pkg install nvidia-driver-470 nvidia-xconfig nvidia-settings

# sysrc kld_list+="nvidia-modeset nvidia"

# nvidia-xconfig

# mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

Then of course, you need to install a window manager or desktop environment, adjust your ~/.xinitrc accordingly and then run “startx” when you have logged in.

2 Likes