Public WiFi network and Captive portal

Hey!

I installed NomadBSD(UFS version) on an 8gb USB stick with data encryption. I am not able to access the internet via public wifi networks. I am able to connect to public wifi networks, but the captive portal associated with the wifi network is not launched automatically and also via firefox. On Linux, either the captive portal is automatically launched, or firefox provides a message with network login option. But this does not happen on NomadBSD. I am new to BSD. Please could someone help me on resolving this issue?

Thanks and kind regards,

AA

I think you just need to set up your wifi for their network, like you do at home, or when you go to a friends house - I could be wrong, but that’s what I think. :slight_smile:

open a terminal window
ifconfig

edit file /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and the details for the Network Wifi Connection you wish to make.

network={
ssid=“innflux”
key_mgmt=NONE
}
network={
#: my NetGear box
ssid=“NETGEAR59”
psk=“my_passkey_892”
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

more detailed network entry

network={
#: my NetGear box
ssid=“NETGEAR59”
priority=3
bssid=c4:04:15:7d:53:80
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
proto=RSN
psk=“my_passkey_892”
}

man wpa_passphrase
wpa_passphrase >> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

ps ax | grep dh to find out which one is being used
killall dhclient or killall dhcpcd

Manually issue the wpa_supplicant with the background Dameon option and dhclient commands

wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf 
dhclient wlan0

Use the following line for testing with the Debug and Password debug printout options

wpa_supplicant -d -K -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf 
dhclient wlan0

Problems running dhclient? Then kill the previously running dhclient.

killall dhclient
dhclient wlan0

Ping some DNS providers to check if Domain Network Services are working for your setup.
ping -c 3 8.8.4.4
ping -c 3 he.net

#Sometimes you might need to restart the network interfaces and the routing services, after editing the /etc/rc.conf file or the /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file.

service netif restart  && service routing restart

I have a detailed manual connection setup for GhostBSD (FreeBSD) here:
Manual Wifi Setup for EDIMAX EW-7811un version 1
Manual Wifi setup and connection for PCI RTL8188ce device