Octopkg or FreeBSD package manager?

Is there any downside to Nomad to using the cli for freebsd updates and pkg install/updates?

Some downsides could occur only comparing Octopkg to the source ports, not binary packages, IMHO.

Octopkg is very useful for me: to show installed files, package description, other metadata, dependencies, even to search for available packages and to list installed ones, at last to check updates daily.

1 Like

@vladas TBH,

pkg

does the same thing as OctoPkg and this even much much faster. Having a graphical frontend to pkg like OctoPkg does means more meaningless resource consumption through a GUI than it normally would through its native TUI (Terminal User Interface). Printing to stdout is cheap, printing through a GUI is not.

@tthenrie I would advise you to use the terminal instead. Not only you would get more efficient and proficient with package management you also don’t fear the terminal that much. Once the barrier to the console is lowered, after a little while, you wouldn’t miss to do arbitrary tasks in a GUI, instead you would use a terminal with your favorite shell to do the same, because it’s blazingly fast, much quicker than doing it in your graphical counterpart.

That’s how many people started to get into the command line, even I started in my early ignorant days of using Windows back then in 2017/18 to use package management tools specifically designed for Windows, namely chocolatey and scoop. I started to dig in a little deeper into Microsoft’s PowerShell but realized it was too convoluted and messed up with too many commands to remember. But after switching to Linux Mint 20 in 2018 on my secondary laptop, things have changed. I started digging into bash, apt package manager and GNU coreutils (mv, cp, ls and friends) bit by bit and realized that it was so much easier to learn and remember. A few times passed, I didn’t hesitate to open a terminal to do those arbitrary things like package management and file management. Hell, I started even developing my own plain command line text editor in C (still not finished, abandoned it for finishing college :frowning: ) but that’s another story.

Long story short, use the terminal where you can and a GUI where you must.

1 Like

Thanks, guys. That’s what I needed to know. Now if I can just get my internal speaker issue figured out…

Hehe. I started using the terminal with DOS 2.0…before Windows existed :crazy_face:. Just didn’t stick with computer tech like I should have. Re-learning everything.

That’s the great news I’d like to hear, @tthenrie . Regarding your issue with your speakers, I’d open a new issue post in this forum if not done so. Meanwhile, both the FreeBSD and the NomadBSD handbooks are your best bets in finding answers to your question(s). These are most valuable resources for anybody learning to use and using NomadBSD and FreeBSD in general.