NomadBSD for Raspberry Pi 400?

Is there any chance of getting a version of NomadBSD designed specifically for the Raspberry Pi 400? The Raspberry Pi 400 appears to be the ultimate Raspberry Pi desktop experience, which in my opinion, would be a perfect match for a light weight FreeBSD desktop like NomadBSD.

Unfortunately, NomadBSD has no installable images for the arm64/aarch64 architechture. What you can do instead is to go to Index of /releases/arm64/aarch64/ISO-IMAGES/13.0/ and download the appropiate image for your Raspberry Pi 400 and flash it to a microSD card. You do not have anything to set up, this image is ready to rock. Then you would install your desktop and desired apps yourself via pkg in the command line. Easy, huh? :wink:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I realized that was possible, however as a NomadBSD fan boy, I think that the light weight look and feel are such a great match, it is a bit of a shame that there is no NomadBSD for the Raspberry Pi 4B / 400. It is possible to try to do it by hand, but there is a fair amount of installation and configuration of programs like Tint2, DSBMixer, DSBMC - DSBMD client, Feh, etc. it is a bit of a shame that the individual user has to duplicate the effort of the developer team, if they want a NomadBSD version for the Raspberry Pi.

Well, NomadBSD tries to be more focused on the desktop and not on small form factor sized embedded devices like the Raspberry Pi 4/400. Therefore you cannot exactly replicate the experience of a desktop PC with a embedded board like the Pi 4/400. You also need to consider that building images for that particular platform (ARM64/aarch64) would require a huge amount of work to basically building the AMD64 or even the i386 images among custom scripts to replicate the experience of the i386/amd64 image builds. I think the NomadBSD devs don’t feel the need to do the same for the ARM architecture as this is supported upstream and nobody would use those tiny cheap boards as their desktop replacement (except some crazy computer enthusiasts who are just fed up with things happening in the consumer grade PC industry
stating the current situation of microprocessor chip technologies doesn’t evolve that quick and want to see some change here).

1 Like