No WiFi interface

When it comes to wifi chances are it is not. This is why I keep on repeating the approps and find a suitable wifi. I have a backup USB dongle when this happens. It is the life of using BSD.

Maurizio was assuming the drivers weren’t loaded, so his instructions were correct (and they do no harm), but not necessary. I guess there is a firmware issue with the iwi(4) driver. Add the line legal.intel_iwi.license_ack=1 to /boot/loader.conf. After a reboot your wifi should work.

man otus, uath, ath doesn’t support your USB Wifi.
I am wondering why hes being told to add drivers to loader.conf when iwi is already included in GENERIC
All he would really need is to add that sysctl to loader.conf.

As you can see here: https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/releng/12.1/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC?revision=352546&view=markup

device iwi # Intel 2200BG/2225BG/2915ABG wireless NICs.

And in theory if everything is ok it should load the proper firmware, as well as the rest of the required KLD’s so the other’s aren’t needed as if_iwi would ask for those modules.

The way the KLD knows this is using the following:
MODULE_DEPEND(iwi, pci, 1, 1, 1);
MODULE_DEPEND(iwi, wlan, 1, 1, 1);
MODULE_DEPEND(iwi, firmware, 1, 1, 1);

So it will auto load wlan and firmware. and then it will search for x firmware. You can see the error messages using dmesg.

if the change from model to model is none you can just add the PCID to the driver and it should work but you are hacking it, not really supporting it.

The OS is simple it detects, it loads, and shows up in ifconfig, it doesn’t should up quicker to just search amazon for a adapter that is listed in it’s man page. Atheros and Intel are the better options.

You can purchase a mPCI card from ebay for cheap however some people don’t like the fact of buying something to make an OS work. The other option is to either use CURRENT or wait.

Theres also a list of all supported Hardware here:
https://www.freebsd.org/releases/12.1R/hardware.html

This lists all the Hardware that is supported. Also note a revision sometimes changes the PCIID and the driver searches this file to see if it supports said ID.

I do not see any indication that the GENERIC is modified besides the fact that you add a few nooptions for old COMPAT things.

Thank you all for your replies but I don’t understand any of it.
As I stated at the beginning, I’m a newbie so all this is out my league.

Last post here, feel free to delete my account.

Cheers!

BSD isn’t meant for the Desktop people try but in reality the HW support is too lacking for a newbie to use it. This has been my response for years now. If you don’t know your HW and how to diagnose and use it then Unix is not for you simple.

BSD operating systems may not be the simplest or easiest to install, and use, as a desktop computing solution. But, they are good operating systems. If you don’t know your hardware and how to diagnose a BSD operating system, you need to ask yourself if it is worth learning.

I don’t intend to be a newbie on a permanent basis. Especially when there are operating systems like NomadBSD and FreeBSD to learn. As a desktop computer user I can see many advantages to these systems and intend to take advantage of what they have to offer.

I couldn’t ride a bicycle the first time I tried, but I know how to ride one now.

If a OS needs to be manually configured to support simple things it has already failed as a Desktop. I shouldn’t have to spend an hr adding kernel modules to kld_list to support the bare minimum of things. if an important device such as Wifi fails to work it has already failed as an OS. if I have to go out a buy a USB dongle it has already failed as a OS. However if people don’t read the supported HW list well it’s on the user if x doesn’t support x.

Now if you know what you are getting yourself into, and know that some stuff wont be supported or will need a lot of work to get supported, or you need to disable somethings or buy new then yes BSD makes a very nice OS/Desktop. but most newbies will not do this. Most of the people who believe BSD makes a good Desktop is mainly the people who don’t have any non supported and no issues with there HW.

Well, I guess I’m not most people. I don’t see a little challenge installing or configuring an operating system as a failure. It took me a few days of reading and tinkering to get FreeBSD to work as a desktop system on my notebook computer. But, I enjoyed learning about it and working out how to fix the problems.

NomadBSD seems to work well without any difficulties on the few computers that I have tried it on. Which is a good thing for a persistent operating system on a USB drive.

We all have different opinions about what makes a good operating system, or for what an operating system is best suited. It’s a good thing that we have so many operating system choices because we have so many different preferences. What a boring world it would be if we were all the same.

Uhm driver issues is not a “little challenge” drviers are simple they detect x hardware or they don’t if you don’t have the knowledge to modify the driver to work with your HW you have a laptop that doesn’t use that specific HW. I don’t care about my webcam, the CPU thermal stuffs. I care about my Wifi, how many places do you see that have RJ45 jacks available to you? Not having Wifi is a very big turn off in regards to an OS. It not an opinion it’s reality HW support is not and no where near in par with Linux, and this makes it very hard to make it a Desktop OS.

@Russ
Thanks for your comment but I’m not looking for a desktop replacement, see my comment above. Cheers!

I understand RogerW.

Sometimes I can get a little carried away in a debate. Stay healthy!

Thank you all for your time and effort.
I’m not having any luck connecting the WiFi so I ran a hw-probe using this website and here’s the results. Is this to be escalated to the kernel or can it be fixed locally?

Hello and welcome to the forum.
The chances for help / answers are bigger if you post as a new topic instead of hijacking and reviving an old topic - that’s often considered bad karma… :slight_smile:
I’m not proficient enough in WiFi to help you.

Ok, I must be rather confused about what it means to hijack a thread. I was under the belief that the people subscribed to this thread have some type of connection (good, bad, or indifferent) to the subject and therefore might have valuable input. What I don’t understand is, isn’t that a good idea? Especially considering it’s a good subject line and then the timeline of things, people learn. Case in this stage is, it’s a troubleshooting log of things to do, instead of having to surf thru waves of threads.

@ludensen don’t get me wrong, I trust karma, and don’t like upsetting them. Can you please clarify and help me, so I can help better?

This answer is my take as a normal user on this and other forums.
I especially waited to answer your post to see if admins or “veterans” stepped in.
I see several advantages in keeping each topic/thread to one problem.

This thread is more than a year old.
NomadBSD has been through several versions since then. That might change the “angle of attack” and lead to appending new info at the end of potentially stale info.
Now NomadBSD is based on FreeBSD 13 at that time it was based on FreeBSD 12.x - not the same thing.

If you concatenate 5 problems in one thread. You don’t know how may different problems are handled in the thread or how many will be relevant to you. There’s no easy way to find the beginning of problem 3. If problem 3 is not relevant to you, you still have to read on to find the beginning of problem 4… if there is a problem 4, you don’t know yet. It is wasteful time-wise.

If one topic/thread equals one problem, I can by reading the opening post(OP) know if the whole thread is relevant to me - and I can guesstimate how complex the problem/solution is by the number of posts.

It is not slower to read 5 single-problem-topics than the concatenated topic and it is easier to skip a topic.
And if I want to search on all topics related to a ASUS ROG STRIX - mixing a Dell wifi problem with a Asus wifi problem makes it more difficult.

Search engine Indexing is better with one problem pr. topic. You can jump directly from ie. Google to the Asus wifi problem.

I think I will stop here…
Oh, and I know of the 100 pages plus long threads on XDA - and I’m not a fan.

Hope this users personal opinion helped.
Have a nice evening :slight_smile: -and good karma :wink:

1 Like

Re the above - hijacking is going completely off the original post topic - not so in this case - but resurrecting posts older than a few months without any updates is considered bad form. :wink:

It is usually best to open your own topic, with specific details of your equipment & problem so that up to date info can be given.

In the main, we are just users like yourself, who answer questions on behalf of the people who put together the O/S, that way, they can improve it without needing to come here to answer questions all the time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Re your wifi card - I’m sorry, but it seems like FreeBSD does not as yet support it.