No GUI after update

No errors were shown after massive upgrade of 311 packages yesterday. And today too, but Slim requires to login now, and does not accept the right password. Fish and TTY (Alt-F1 and Alt-F2) are working as usually, syslog (Alt-F3) too, only Slim (Alt-F9) won’t let me into the desktop environment of NomadBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p8.

Where should I look for an error message or some explanation?

Should I cancel all pkg updates and revert the system to its initial state until an official NomadBSD 13.1-RELEASE? Or rather upgrade to 13.1 now?

Do not want to give up and apologise MS Windows… :frowning:

Sorry, I wrote inaccurately yesterday:

Slim requires to login, and does not accept the right password.

No, Slim accepts my password, but after that restarts everytime and asks to login again.

I did not find any related error record in logfiles so far.

pkg lock -l

What’s locked?

pkg check -d

Are all dependencies met?

Packages from quarterly, or latest?

pkg -vv | grep -e url -e enabled -e priority

I have encountered this symptom in at least one case, I’m free from the problem with 13.1-RELEASE-p2.

1 Like

I have locked Firefox and Thunderbird, when they refused to start (silently), and also Python39, because after its upgrade silently refuses to start wiki Zim — the main PIM app for my everyday work.

pkg lock -l

Currently locked packages:
bwi-firmware-kmod-3.130.20
bwn-firmware-kmod-0.1.2
drm-fbsd13-kmod-5.4.92.g20210419
drm-kmod-g20190710_1
firefox-esr-91.13.0,1
gpu-firmware-kmod-g20210330
py39-gdbm-3.9.13_6
py39-sqlite3-3.9.13_7
py39-tkinter-3.9.13_6
python39-3.9.13
thunderbird-91.13.0

Yes,

sudo pkg check -d

Checking all packages: 100%

Quarterly (after latest):

pkg -vv | grep-e url -e enabled -e priority

url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/quarterly",
enabled: yes
priority: 0,

I will try too, thank you very much, dear @grahamperrin !

Hi, I am here from NomadBSD, after its upgrade to 13.1-RELEASE-p2. Slim lets in now, without asking to login, a big thank you!

Firefox, Thunderbird, and Zim are still working fine, although I should upgrade them, unlocking FF, TB, and Python39 — but I am very afraid of losing them, and do not know how to backup and revert an app to the previous version.

Unlocked and upgraded both Firefox with Thunderbird successfully. But pkg upgrade zim answers me “Your packages are up to date”, and Octopkg shows it green, despite of being still 0.74.3 instead of 0.75.0, weird.

0.75.0 is not yet packaged: https://www.freshports.org/deskutils/zim#packages