Necessary manual work after big July 2022 pkg-upgrade

This mammoth size pkg-upgrade is including upgrading python from 3.8 to 3.9
That means you will have to do some of the work from the NomadBSD errata page again - BUT with small modifications.

> sudo pkg upgrade
> sudo pkg install py39-xdg
> sudo sed -i '' 's/python3.8/python3.9/' /usr/local/bin/dsbxinput
> sudo sed -i '' 's/python3.8/python3.9/' /usr/local/bin/lbi-gui
> sudo sed -i '' 's/python3.8/python3.9/' /usr/local/bin/ipfwGUI
> sudo sed -i '' 's/python3.8/python3.9/' /usr/bin/nomadbsd-chusr
> sudo pkg remove py38-xdg

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried following this and get an error. Is there something I am missing by copying them directly?

That is not very specific.
Which command and what error?

I have changed the commands to ā€œpre-formatted textā€, that might alleviate problemā€¦?
But try to be more specific. :slight_smile:

Hello ludensen, after succesfully executed all your commands, nothing changed. NomadBSD is still working only in text mode. Desktop not showing. Thank you for assistance.

Thank you very much for posting that. When I did the upgrade, my screen went black. Had to ssh in and do the manual work from another computer. Back up now.

I wonder if doing the manual work specified above (and in the errata) before doing the pkg upgrade might not help users to avoid the failure to run issue.

1 Like

Sorry for the long response time. Work ran a lot longer than I expected. Whatever the change was worked. It kept saying something about the formatting being wrong.

1 Like

Hello @Romca,

unfortunately my troubleshooting experience with the graphical user-interface (GUI) is limited.
Try to search on the forum. There is a troubleshooting example hidden half down this tread.

Hoping you find a solution on the forumā€¦ - or create a new topic/thread
pay extra much attention on threads where @mk1 and @lme have answered!

Have a nice day

Hello ludensen,
after big July 2022 pkg-upgrade my NomadBSD os changed to only command (text) mode. I laborating with settings and command # sysrc initgfx_enable=YES
reboot
remove nvidia driver, install nvidia driver 470 and set from errata

sysrc kld_list+=" /boot/modules/nvidia-modeset.ko /boot/modules/nvidia.ko"

sysrc initgfx_enable=NO

If the file /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-video-initgfx.conf does not exist, or doesnā€™t contain the line Driver ā€œnvidiaā€, create the file with the following content:

Section ā€œDeviceā€
Identifier ā€œNVIDIA CARDā€
VendorName ā€œNVIDIA Corporationā€
Driver ā€œnvidiaā€
EndSection

After a reboot the GUI should start.

And success.

Thank you
Have a nice day

1 Like

Thank you ludensen
This got most of my Desktop back (I only had the right-mouseclick menu available).
Now I have to iron out the rest of the issues : no Logout, other python scripts on level 3.8 (chardetect normalizer) en 3.7 (dbsdefaultapps event_rpcgen.py) etc.

1 Like

Hello @MPe,

have you done

> sudo pkg autoremove

after the big package-upgrade?
It (for me) removed all python 3.8 and additional 3.8 packages (more than 70 packages).

Have a nice weekend
Ludensen, a happy NomadBSD user

PS.
It might be a good idea to make a backup (or ZFS-snapshot) before this operation - just in case :wink:

Backup? tarsnap. And a live NomadBSD key in handreach. System disk is UFS so no snapshot.

autoremove would remove 2GB so I only removed everything starting with py38

further testing why things dont function :
mpe@NomadBSD ~> telegram-desktop

(telegram-desktop:2594): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:02:24.856: Kan themamodule niet vinden in modulepad: ā€˜murrineā€™,

(telegram-desktop:2594): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:02:24.858: Kan themamodule niet vinden in modulepad: ā€˜murrineā€™,

(telegram-desktop:2594): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:02:24.860: Kan themamodule niet vinden in modulepad: ā€˜murrineā€™,
Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (5.15.2) with this library (5.15.5)
fish: Job 1, ā€˜telegram-desktopā€™ terminated by signal SIGABRT (Abort)
mpe@NomadBSD ~ [SIGABRT]> octopkg

(:2740): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:06:31.598: Kan themamodule niet vinden in modulepad: ā€˜murrineā€™,

(:2740): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:06:31.601: Kan themamodule niet vinden in modulepad: ā€˜murrineā€™,

(:2740): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:06:31.603: Kan themamodule niet vinden in modulepad: ā€˜murrineā€™,
fish: Job 1, ā€˜octopkgā€™ terminated by signal SIGABRT (Abort)
mpe@NomadBSD ~> transmission-qt

(:6221): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:58:19.776: Kan themamodule niet vinden in modulepad: ā€˜murrineā€™,

(:6221): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:58:19.778: Kan themamodule niet vinden in modulepad: ā€˜murrineā€™,

(:6221): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:58:19.780: Kan themamodule niet vinden in modulepad: ā€˜murrineā€™,
fish: Job 1, ā€˜transmission-qtā€™ terminated by signal SIGABRT (Abort)
mpe@NomadBSD ~ [SIGABRT]>

Breakage in a patch level? WTF?
https://wiki.qt.io/Qt-Version-Compatibility
" Patch releases are both backwards and forwards binary and source compatible."

I should mention that I upgraded to supported 12.3 some time ago :
mpe@NomadBSD ~> freebsd-version -kru
12.3-RELEASE-p5
12.3-RELEASE-p5
12.3-RELEASE-p5

mpe@NomadBSD ~> /usr/local/bin/dsblogoutmgr

(:4436): Gtk-WARNING **: 20:21:04.907: Kan themamodule niet vinden in modulepad: ā€˜murrineā€™,

(:4436): Gtk-WARNING **: 20:21:04.909: Kan themamodule niet vinden in modulepad: ā€˜murrineā€™,

(:4436): Gtk-WARNING **: 20:21:04.912: Kan themamodule niet vinden in modulepad: ā€˜murrineā€™,
fish: Job 1, ā€˜/usr/local/bin/dsblogoutmgrā€™ terminated by signal SIGABRT (Abort)
mpe@NomadBSD ~ [SIGABRT]>

sudo pkg update -f
sudo pkg upgrade -f
reinstalling all stuff again seems to have fixed my july update issuesā€¦ all stuff working again
(and repaired the ā€˜Leaveā€™ button in the bar)
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello MPe,
nice to see you fixed your problem :+1:

So you didnā€™t do a pkg autoremove. So you still have 2 GB of orphan packagesā€¦
It never caused problems for me, but Iā€™m a big proponent for backups!

I got rid of this error by installing ā€œmurrineā€

sudo pkg install gtk-murrine-engine

PS.
Boot environments for UFS are in beta (version 0.1), so it is possible but probably not advisable to use yet - I canā€™t judgeā€¦

Itā€™s normal to load just one of the two modules; and not specify a path. So, for example:

sysrc kld_list+=nvidia-modeset