My first Impressions of NomadBSD-130R20210508

First of all I liked to thank you for your much lot of work you put into this project. Developing an OS like this is also always a Martyrdom. :wink:
I am little bit confused about the new versioning scheme. So is this a ready to use release or is it a testing release? And in my opinion the version names are to long an complicated.

So i try it to install it on different Computers and i have to say, that the booting don’t work well in many cases.
So in detail:
HP Probook 6550b Intel core M520 Graphics: intel processor:
The booting interuped after the third line bios diskxxx and rebooted from hard disk

HP Laptop 17 ak0xxx Amd A9-9420 Graphics: Radeon R5:
The booting failed by this lines -
ugen05 HPgenericWebcam at usb0
very often repeating of the line Root mount waiting for cam
and then mounting from ufs/dev/label/nmadroot failed with error2
Then something should be done manually but I am too dumb for it.

HP Laptop 17-by0xxxx Intelceleron N4000 graphics: UHD 600:
NomadBSD 1,4 is actually running very fine on this Laptop
Its booting until the first three or four green lines ( too fast to read it ) then interrupted and rebooted from hard disk.

Fujitsu Lifebook E 70 Intel core I5 M520 Graphics: intel core processor:
its worked fine and quick.

Dell Optiplex 7010 intelcore i3-3240 Graphics Intelxenon E3-1200
its worked fine and quick

if its working, then its really working quick for a 2.0 USB Stick.

So how long there are Updates for NomadBSD 1.4 ?

Thank you for the feedback :slight_smile:

Yes, it’s not always fun :wink:

This is a regular release. The new versioning scheme seems a bit cryptic, but it contains more information. The first part tells you which FreeBSD version it is based on, and the second part tells you when it was released.

Try to boot in legacy mode or CSM.

Try a USB2.X port instead of USB3.X

We are not (yet) providing an update service, but you can update the base system with freebsd-update and the packages with pkg upgrade.

HP Laptop 17 ak0xxx Amd A9-9420 Graphics: Radeon R5:
    The booting failed by this lines -
    ugen05 HPgenericWebcam at usb0
    very often repeating of the line Root mount waiting for cam
    and then mounting from ufs/dev/label/nmadroot failed with error2

Try a USB2.X port instead of USB3.X

I tryed booting with a SDHC card. The booting stuck at the same line like before, but continued after 10 or 15 secounds.
So I was able install the OS on the SDHC card and its runing quickly.

But the SDHC card doesn’t worked by the HP Laptop 17-by0xxxx Intelceleron N4000 graphics: UHD 600 although the NomadBSD 1.4 is running fine on this device.

Regarding the error 2 problem: Could you please try to set kern.cam.boot_delay=20000 at the loader prompt? Press 3 at the boot menu to enter the loader prompt. Then type

set kern.cam.boot_delay=20000
boot