Laptop touch pad does not work

I was just able to boot NomadBSD but the touchpad does not work with the OS. I have a bluetooth mouse as well but I am more concerned about the touchpad at this point. Am I missing something?

Hi @mgjohns61585,

try sudo sysctl kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=12. If that works, save that setting by adding it to /etc/sysctl.conf:

# echo 'kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=12' >> /etc/sysctl.conf

@mgjohns61585
No hardware was described, but thought I’d throw this out since it was such a hair puller for me on one box:

On a relatively modern Acer Aspire 1 laptop, to get anything BSD or even Linux working with the touchpad, I had to make a change in the bios/efi setup for touchpad use.

The default was set for “advanced”. Changing the bios/efi setup to “basic” for the touchpad now allowed BSD / Linux systems to properly recognize the touchpad.

I was surprised, since I had never seen an option for a touchpad in the bios/efi setups before. And sure enough, when I tested with NomadBSD 1.4 just to be sure, I had to change the touchpad to “basic” in the bios.

(This is actually a UEFI-Only laptop, so my use of bios is kind of a misnomer…)

Just thought I’d put that out there for anyone else with relatively modern laptops where nothing seems to work. It might be something to look into in the bios just to make sure, unless my machine is just a one-off thing.

@mk1
Just for grins, I also tried that sysctl when I set the Acer touchpad back to the default oem advanced setting, but the sysctl is ignored. Setting the touchpad back to “basic” makes it work - and no sysctl needed.

Lost a few hairs in the last years tracking that stupid bios option down…