Keyboard not working during install

Hey everyone. I’m experienced in Linux, but very new to BSD.

I’m trying to get a new install going. My keyboard works fine during the initial booting, when I’m given options like:

1. Boot Multiuser
  2. Boot Single User
    etc.

One I boot up into the X11 based installer though, my keyboard is completely unresponsive. My mouse works fine, so I can click through things until it asks me to enter a password. During the boot process, it does say that my keyboard (by name) is detected on usbus1.

Looking online, it looks like various people have had problems with keyboards not working with X11, with various settings to change. I could potentially boot on another computer for the initial setup and to edit some X11 config files.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

I did try switching to different USB ports. This happens with both the USB3 and USB2 ports.

Hi @opensourcepirate ,

Disconnect and reconnect the USB keyboard and, show me the DMESG(8) output.

See you.

Thanks xxavi,

I’ve pasted the output below. It seems that the issue is with this particular keyboard; I was able to install fine with a different keyboard connected. I had interesting behavior with both keyboards connected. I can type with the working keyboard, but they system acts as if Ctrl is being held. Regarding the dmesg output; yes the connect/disconnect order is the opposite of what you asked. I can’t type with that keyboard connected. Trying to type dmesg just closes the terminal (ctrl-d). Also the exact usbus/usbhub numbers change depending on what port I use.

ugen1.2: at usbus1
ukbd1 on uhub1
ukbd1: <Corsair Corsair Gaming K63 Keyboard, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus1
kbd3 at ukbd1
ukbd2 on uhub1
ukbd2: <Corsair Corsair Gaming K63 Keyboard, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus1
kbd4 at ukbd2
uhid0 on uhub1
uhid0: <Corsair Corsair Gaming K63 Keyboard, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1> on usbus1
device_attach: uhid0 attach returned 12
ugen1.2: at usbus1 (disconnected)
ukbd1: at uhub1, port 8, addr 1 (disconnected)
ukbd1: detached
ukbd2: at uhub1, port 8, addr 1 (disconnected)
ukbd2: detached

I believe that my issue is the one discussed here - https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=233884

Now I’m trying to figure out how to apply that patch to ukbd.

Hi @opensourcepirate ,

Can you show me this outpput ?:

dmesg | grep atkbd

Thanks, see you.