Intel Iris Pro Graphics 580 not recognized - no HD

Looking for advice/help in starting/adding/loading a suitable graphics driver so that I won’t have to suffer with my current miserable 1024x768 resolution!

During the boot I have to select () VESA to get into NomadBSD in graphics mode. If I try () Autodetect Accelerated Graphics I end up as a terminal mode [FISH] and don’t know how to start a graphics session from there.

I’ve also tried loading on both my monitor connections in case that was an issue;

1. Mini Display Port 1.2 -> HDMI and
  2. Type C connector -> DVI
    but the results are the same.

I am hopeful that someone has a solution. My computer is an Intel NUC NUC6I7KYK (2018) with the latest BIOS loaded. The graphic specs are Intel Iris Pro Graphics 580. Under Windows 10 I do run 2 monitors at 1080.

Please try the following:

Reboot and choose Autodetection in the graphics driver menu. When you reach the login prompt at the console, log in as nomad, and then run startx. If that doesn’t work, post the content of /var/log/Xorg.0.log here.

That failed to work and the STARTX failed to start the host screen.

(EE) no screens found (EE) (EE) Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support at http://wiki.x.org

That was the most significant line in the result. I have a screen shot to upload.

Is the i915kms module loaded (kldtstat | grep i915kms)? If not, use su to become root, and load the i915kms module with kldload /boot/modules/i915kms.ko. Then exit the root shell and try again to startx.

I can’t execute that command - i get the following msg: fish: Unknown command kldtstat

I went ahead an did the load and the message is " module already loaded or in kernel" so I guess that answers the Q.

I made a typo, sorry.

kldstat| grep i915kms

That module is already loaded. What can I do next? And, big thank you for the help! Much appreciated.

What does dmesg | grep drm say?

Warning: KLD ‘/boot/modules/drm2.ko’ is newer than the linker.hints file
info: [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810

I transcribed this from the monitor; its just quicker.

So far, so good. Could please run grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log and take a photo of the result?

Can you show me the output of cat /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-intel.conf and pciconf -lv | grep ^vgapci, please?

Exactly how do I get those to display? (I’m still a newbie at this).

Just execute those two commands and take a photo of the screen.

Sorry, I looked it up! CAT will list the contents, so that first file showed:
No such file or directory

And the second gave me two "no such directories: pciconf and -lv

Must have been finger trouble. Here they are in reverse order.

Thank you. Well, everything looks correct, but the KMS driver (i915kms) doesn’t seem to work with this GPU albeit it is supported according to the PCI-ID. I’m out of ideas for now.

Thanks for the help. You have rekindled my interest in low-level control of an OS. Been a long time.

We can let this sit for now while I learn more about NomadBSD. It would be nice not to have to squint to read the fuzzy screen LOL - but we’ll press on. If you need me to test/run anything else don’t hesitate to ask. I’m retired. (:>

No problem :slight_smile: I will come back to you if I have an idea that could solve this problem.

1 Like