How to revert Firefox

Sorry for the newbie question: how to reinstall Mozilla Firefox to its previous version? Today I let Octopkg to upgrade firefox-esr-91.13.0,1 → firefox-esr-102.3.0,1, and it disappears silently.

I have tried to revert it via CLI:

> firefox
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/local/lib/firefox/libxul.so:
/lib/libc.so.7: version FBSD_1.7 required by /usr/local/lib/firefox/libxul.so not found
Couldn't load XPCOM.

# /usr/sbin/pkg install -f -y firefox-esr
Reinstalling firefox-esr-102.3.0,1...
Command finished OK!
> firefox
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/local/lib/firefox/libxul.so:
/lib/libc.so.7: version FBSD_1.7 required by /usr/local/lib/firefox/libxul.so not found
Couldn't load XPCOM.

# (forgot Octopkg command, sorry)
Deinstalling firefox-esr-102.3.0,1... 
Command finished OK!
# pkg install firefox
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'firefox' have been found in the repositories
# pkg install www/firefox-esr
New packages to be INSTALLED:
	firefox-esr: 102.3.0,1
The process will require 246 MiB more space.
Proceed with this action? [y/N]: n

# pkg install www/firefox-esr-91.13
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'www/firefox-esr-91.13' have been found in the repositories
# pkg install www/firefox-esr-91
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'www/firefox-esr-91' have been found in the repositories
# pkg install www/firefox-esr-92
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'www/firefox-esr-92' have been found in the repositories

Where to obtain and how to install an older version?

Oh, Thunderbird disappeared too, after its upgrade 91.13.0 → 102.2.2

> thunderbird
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/local/lib/thunderbird/libxul.so:
/lib/libc.so.7: version FBSD_1.7 required by /usr/local/lib/thunderbird/libxul.so not found
Couldn't load XPCOM.

hi vladas, I learned that going to upgrade a specific package might brake one or more dependency version which the single upgrade cannot handle. Doing the all packages update-upgrade could fix this

No, because some of the upgraded packages are build for the kernel 1301000 and FreeBSD 13.0 has the kernel 1300139.

:~% uname -K

:~% pkg info firefox-esr | grep -i FreeBSD_version
FreeBSD_version: 1301000

1 Like

I always follow Octopkg request to upgrade every app, in this case both FF with TB (and also ffmpeg).

It’s a pity not to know a convenient way to revert an app to its previous version. I solved this problem by ZFS rollback of a whole system and then locking both Firefox and Thunderbird at 91.13 version.

Hello,

sometimes you can still find the wanted package in the pkg-cache /var/cache/pkg
and you can install it from there.
(when you do a pkg clean you’re deleting this cache)

to install a local package from the cache, change to the folder and use the exact pkg-name:

> cd /var/cache/pkg
> sudo pkg install [exact-pkg-name].txz

1 Like

With FreeBSD, nowadays: .pkg (not .txz); and aim for the file that is not a symbolic link. It’s not an exact package name.

/var/cache/pkg does not exist on NomadBSD. A hint:

pkg -vv | grep PKG_CACHEDIR

I imagine /tmp/pkg being empty following a reboot.

2 Likes