How to login with the fingerprint reader?

NomadBSD is now working pretty well on my Thinkpad X230 + Samsung Fit 128GB memory stick. If possible I’d like to log in with the fingerprint reader on the Thinkpad. Is there a recommended way to add fingerprint login functionality to NomadBSD? Thank you for your advice in advance!

I’ve never used a fingerprint reader, but here is a detailed blog article about using such a device on FreeBSD.

1 Like

Microsoft disconnected my favorite Egis fingerprint sensor 6.1.56.0 with a password manager on Acer Aspire 7738G notebook, and I had no hope of finding such support in FreeBSD family. I am glad to see the following line in answer to usbconfig:

ugen2.2: <Generic FingerPrinter Reader> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)

OctoPkg shows me libfprint library installed, too. Then I also installed fprintd deamon and fprint_demo for graphical user interface.

Unfortunately, it is grayed out wit “Status: No device found”. I guess because pam_fprint module is missing — I did not find it neither in OctoPkg, FreeBSD/ports nor in FreshPorts. I still have no idea, perhaps pam_fprint has been renamed or the fingerprint management technology has changed at all.

Hi

pam_fprint seems deprecated since may 2020

https://www.freshports.org/security/pam_fprint/