How to install Linux packages

How can I install Linux packages on NomadBSD? I have been reading the FreeBSD manual but it is still a little unclear. Does anyone have any recommendations? For example, I have a debian package I want to install. How do I do it?

hi there ,
debian is debian or other systems based on GNU design.
Please notice that BSD isnt GNU.
It’s UNIX original design and approach.
What does it mean.
You cannot install packages that are system independent.
Everyone has his own system and behavior in IT World.
Please take some time to read and become familiar with installing BSD packages with
the command pkg install followed by the name of the package.
to see what amount of packages is already installed on your NOMADBSD please
open the sakura cmd editor on your BSD nomad@NomadBSD ~>
and type : pkg info
Hope this will help a little
WBR
SM

For the ambitious, to actually run a Debian package on FreeBSD, the Linux emulation would need to be modified, changed from CentOS to Debian (actually Ubuntu;). There is a highly detailed thread on the FreeBSD Forums on just how to do that here:

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/linuxulator-how-to-run-google-chrome-linux-binary-on-freebsd.77559

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be easier to simply find the CentOS package and install it? CentOS is from RedHat and I’ve never seen a CentOS package cause a crash, but I have Ubuntu packages crash.

NomadBSD has a GUI installer for Linux Chrome and Brave which also installs a Ubuntu base system to /compat/ubuntu.

1 Like

@lme, Excellent! Very good to have ubuntu linux compat added to the new and upcoming Nomad-1.4. Nomad just keeps getting better and better:o) I’ll be testing the RC1 of Nomad 1.4 over the weekend.

Does this mean that it will be easy to install Debian packages with the Ubuntu base system?

I tried to install version 1.4 but I got an error saying there is no boot loader.

hi yogaturtle ,
as i said. system independent packages are hard to install.
on every system if they are independent.
why not take a discourse through the bsd packages and take one of those that fits ?
first approach is to choose the benefits of the system itself.
is my thought in that matter.

Hi @yogaturtle,

could you please open a separate thread for that issue? Please include the following info:

• System architecture (i386, amd64, mac)
  • Target filesystem (ZFS, UFS2)
  • Boot method (BIOS/Legacy, UEFI)

Hi,
please have in mind that you are trying to sit between two chairs!
By that I mean, when/if you encounter any problems installing or using your linux packages - if it’s not a general problem but a more specific problem related to the linux package, the FreeBSD forums will most likely point you in the direction of the package author. When the author learns you are using the package on a “non-linux” system, the author probably have no experience and will point you to the FreeBSD-community - and there you stand between the two forums (chairs)…
You might not experience this scenario, but it is a possibility…

I have some stand-alone-hardware that require an Ubuntu install with some closed source packages to manage said hardware.
My solution is a virtual Ubuntu-machine in bhyve that can easily be spun up or down according to my needs. The front-end vm-bhyve was easy to use and has an informative wiki on github.

If you want to continue with the linux emulation layer (Linuxulator), you could consider using a jail. Then you can experiment all you want without any consequences for your running system. If anything stops working/fails or you want to try out some other settings, you can simply delete the jail and create another :wink:
I think iocage is a very popular front-end/manager for jails, but there are others too

Regardless of your path, I hope you achieve your goal :+1:

2 Likes

Is that to show DRM content? :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, you can watch Netflix and Prime Video with Chrome and Brave.

2 Likes