[Growfs] : requested size is not larger than the current

Hi everybody

Running growfs to expand an ufs fs from 3.9G to the partition size (29G), growfs complains what you can see on the following sreenshot.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fy6phLLL7zg-1mwQ8dIrqxrjdXXsNaz8/view?usp=sharing

my nomadBSD runs on virtualbox and the related virtual disk is a dynamic vdi one. It’s an image of an SSD card.

smart suggestions are welcome.

thanks a lot by advance.
Have a nice day.
Cheers

Hi @didier,

I’m confused about the layout. NomadBSD’s layout looks like this:

=>      63  61685697  da0  MBR  (29G)
        63         1       - free -  (512B)
        64     81920    1  efi  (40M)
     81984   8275968    2  freebsd  [active]  (3.9G)
   8357952  53327808    3  freebsd  (25G)

What happened to ada1s3 (/home)?

Hi Mark,

History: root filesystem ([active]) has been rapidly full (At nomadBSD’s install, I had chosen automatic partitioning) by installing ports.

Why: So, I decided to fusion / and /home in a same partition because /home was weakly occupied.

Implementation: I’ve backed-up /home mounted fs to be free to delete its partition and restore space for the active partition.
I’ve expanded the root partition close to the end of the media.
Final step, to grow root filesystem. This is where I am. This is my trouble.

Note 1: All these steps have been performed under another bsd system. This explains why root filesystem to expand (/dev/ada1s2a) is showed mounted at /root/rootdisk on screenshot.
Note 2: I’ve tried growfs with /dev/ada1s2a unmounted as well.

Sorry, if I made you misunderstood.
Thank you for your patience.

I see. Boot the NomadBSD you intend to resize into single-user mode, and run service growfs onestart.

Ah ! OK ! To work, the partition must be online/active. That’s I understand.

Yes ! It worked.

That’s why you were surprised /home has disapeared. But it works in single mode.

Thank you a lot.
Have a nice day.
Didier.

1 Like

Hi mk1,

How do I go about increasing partition 3 with 708GB free?

service growfs onestart ?

Thank you again,
Marcelo

If partition 3 is mounted on /, then yes.

No friend, the 3rd partition is /home and then I have 708gb free contiguous.

Thanks again,
Marcelo

Did you put an old NomadBSD live system on a HDD/SSD without the installer?

No, what I did was backup the SSD and restore NomadBSD to a 1tb usb HDD.

I’m asking because the layout doesn’t seem to be a NomadBSD installation. If you intend to use NomadBSD on a HDD, boot the live system from a thumb drive, and use the installer to put it on the HDD. A full disk installation doesn’t have the limitations of the live system. The disadvantage, however, is that you an installation is configured to run on the current computer.

Regarding your question (I don’t know if you can grow a MBR partition. A full disk installation of NomadBSD uses GPT):

1. Boot from a NomadBSD thumb drive.
  2. Let’s assume the HDD is da1, and you intend to grow its third (3) partition, then (see man growfs):
# gpart recover da1
# gpart resize -i 3 da1
# growfs /dev/da1s3

Oh yes friend, when I installed the first time it was on a pendrive, then I cloned the pendrive to the SSD, I didn’t do the installation because I had some doubts, including portability between different hardware and what you mentioned. Another doubt if installing via system would take everything that had been stored such as docs, programs, etc…
Thank you again!

Hello friend mk1, how are you? I followed your guidance regarding the installation on disk but I think I’m out of luck, it seems like a joke but I’ve been trying to install for 12 hours without success, the installer reaches 32% and crashes, the whole system crashes and I can only restart by turning off the power, due to amounts of retries and shutdowns I’ve had to go into singles mode several times to correct errors generated by shutdowns. I honestly don’t know what to do anymore, I’m very tired.
Thanks again!
Marcelo

Again the same freeze!

:sleepy:
One thing, both disks are New HDD and SSD

Hi there @MARCELO_CORREA,

is this NomadBSD-1.4?

Hello friend mk1, how are you?

Forgive me for the delay in answering, I was sick with kidney problems, now I’m fine!!!
Regarding the system I preferred to install the latest version of NomadBSD and restore /Home. It went smoothly, now everything is perfect, I chose the ZFS file system and found it more stable than UFS. It just consumes a little more RAM.
I hope you and your family are doing well!!!

A big hug,
Marcelo

I’m glad you’re doing well, again :slight_smile:

Thank you my friend!!! :grinning: