Future release and windows managers

Hi to all
I want to express my gratitude for this release: the easiest setup i ever experienced in a freebsd distro. I would also like to suggest that you should consider using another user windows manager in a future release. Openbox is very fast but lacks Mate’s or Xfce’s simplicity and appearance. Anyway keep up the good work !

I think many NomadBSD fans would enjoy an XFCE desktop environment. It does look like it’s already supported, much as it is in FreeBSD:

~/.xinitrc

############################################################################
    # Uncomment one of the following lines depending on the DE/WM you intend to
    # start:
    #

# Xfce
    # . /usr/local/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc

# GNOME
    # exec /usr/local/bin/gnome-session

# MATE
    # exec ck-launch-session mate-session

# KDE
    # exec ck-launch-session startkde
    #
    ###########################################################################

exec ck-launch-session openbox-session

Fascinating. XFCE4 works perfectly out of the box. It even sees Plank and provides the preferences applet in the menu. I only needed to delete XFCE’s Panel 2 at the bottom of the screen and NomadBSD is ready to go. Beautiful. I consider NomadBSD the Ubuntu of BSD.

2 Likes

I reconsider till then. I believe openbox or maybe flubox has the greater potential to become the best window manager ever :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Mario
Can you take this picture? post
how to install

Hello Franklin - I don’t understand what you’re requesting. Are you asking for a picture of how to install XFCE? The process is not hard:

sudo pkg install xfce
vim ~/.xinitrc

in that file, make sure the following line is uncommented and that the OpenBox line is commented out:

# exec ck-launch-session openbox-session
. /usr/local/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc

I think that’s all I can help with.

1 Like