Boot from Raspberry Pi

Just wondering if anyone has gotten this to work with Raspberry Pi 4B 8 GB…

Can the Raspberry Pi 4B boot from a USB drive?

FreeBSD which is the base for Nomad doesn’t quit support the rasp pi 4 to it’s fullest yet. Better to just keep on looking at the news in regards to pi support.

https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm/Raspberry%20Pi

In order to boot NomadBSD, The raspberry Pi must boot from a USB port. None of the Raspberry Pi boards I have will boot from USB. Will the Pi 4B boot from USB?

The current Raspberry pi do boot from USB and the not current pi 4 will as well once they have their firmware updated to current. There is a youtube video by explainingcomputers that demonstrates the firmware update process.

RPi can USB boot from the 3B onwards, (you just set a one time parameter bit), the 3B+/3A+ also, whilst the RPi4B & RPi400 can do too - however, as they use an ARM processor, no system made for Intel/AMD will run on them.

1 Like

FreeBSD, NetBSD, Ubuntu MATE, Manjaro and several other 64 bit and 32 bit ARM compatible OS exist. I currently have Ubuntu MATE on a 4b and it works great.
I’d rather have NomadBSD on it though.

Exactly what I wanted to point out.

I have a Pinebook Pro, that I would like to run NomadBSD on :wink:
However, ARM is a different beast than AMD/Intel - you can’t just compile once for all ARM-computers, unfortunately.
You have to compile for a specific product or family of products - and that makes it more work intensive, and that’s probably why it will take time before we see the same variety of OS’es for ARM as we have for AMD/Intel.