A question on Linux Browser installation GUI

This might be a bit off topic since it will refer to FreeBSD 13 but forgive me if I ask here since I’ve always received focused and understandable answers while on FreeeBSD forum the answers often “take off” for destinations which I can’t afford.
Sintetically, I like so much the way to have a Linux mode browser as Vivaldi, and I’ve installed it in NomadBSD 130 with just 2 click using its installation GUI menu.
Is there same way to handle it on FreeBSD 13 ? Is a package available through pkg install to get same app as Linux Brower installation GUI ?
Thank you

Hi @mauro,

you can run the linux-browser-installer script directly that the GUI uses:

% git clone https://github.com/mrclksr/linux-browser-installer.git
% cd linux-browser-installer
% su
# ./linux-browser-installer install vivaldi

See the README for details.

Alternatively, you can install the GUI:

1. Install the dependencies:
    # pkg install lang/python3 devel/py-qt5-core \
    x11-toolkits/py-qt5-gui \
    x11-toolkits/py-qt5-widgets \
    x11/xinput devel/qt5-linguisttools \
    sysutils/dsbsu
  1. Install lbi-gui from the NomadBSD git repo:
    % git clone https://github.com/nomadbsd/NomadBSD.git
    % cd NomadBSD/src/lbi-gui
    % su
    # make install

Vivaldi, and I’ve installed it in NomadBSD 130 with just 2 click using its installation GUI menu.

And it works, really? I have installed Vivaldi via Linux Browser Installation GUI of NomadBSD, too — although it does not work (starts as a blank window, with many errors in a logfile).

Looks like I was destroyed the Linux Browser Installation GUI by inadvertently trying to copy your commands (I am not a programmer nor sysadmin). Now the Linux Browser Installation GUI is answering me Failed to execute command '/usr/local/bin/lbi-gui' after login. And Vivaldi already installed after ./linux-browser-installer install vivaldi.

What does /usr/local/bin/lbi-gui say when you run it in a terminal?

env: python3: No such file or directory — and certainly not there.

I have found it in ~/NomadBSD/src/lbi-gui/ now.

Install lang/python3, which might involve upgrading your packages if you haven’t done so recently (probably not what you want when running NomadBSD off of a USB drive):

pkg install lang/python3

Or, change the shebang in /usr/local/bin/lbi-gui from !/usr/bin/env python3 to !/usr/local/bin/python3.7

1 Like

Recently, I installed Vivaldi on my FreeBSD-13 machine for testing, and it worked.

Try do reinstall Vivaldi:

# ./linux-browser-installer deinstall vivaldi
# ./linux-browser-installer install vivaldi

./linux-browser-installer: Command not found. :frowning:

pkg install lang/python3 — done, I see python3 in OctoPkg now, next to python 36, python37, python38.

Yes, I have installed NomadBSD from USB and I am very grateful for it.

You have to change into the linux-browser-installer directory first. You can instead use the GUI (if it’s working again) to reinstall Vivaldi.

Hurray! Vivaldi installed and started successfully, thanks a lot! And sorry for my ignorance. Linux Browser Installation GUI works again, too. Perhaps I should remove ~/NomanBSD/ now?

Great! Yes, you can delete that directory.

Linux Chromium browsers (Brave, Vivaldi) refuse its extensions, yet Mozilla Firefox installed them, sweet!

Hi @mauro,

you can run the linux-browser-installer script directly that the GUI uses:

% git clone GitHub - mrclksr/linux-browser-installer: Script to install Linux browsers under a Linux chroot on FreeBSD

Hi, with the first command line I get

sh: git: not found

Install git:

# pkg install git

yes, after that I could install linux-Vivaldi
Thank you!

1 Like

has someone noticed that Linux-Vivaldi browser is refused to log in the Gmail web platform (“this browser is not supported, try another”) ?
On Vivaldi forum I read that to solve this you need to check the Crypto Token box in the privacy tag settings.
Mine was already checked… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

While Vivaldi Browser on Ubuntu has no issue in Gmail web.
I think that Linux-Vivaldi does not match the Gmail security parameters due to some non-compliant informations appearing from inside its running environment (linux mode inside FreeBSD system).
Don’t know if there is any cheat mode to make it work, like changing User Agent string which I tried to understand on the howto and forum, but unsuccessfully

I just have logged in Gmail.com successfully. Despite of blocking ads, all cookies, and 18 trackers. Linux Vivaldi 4.2.2406.48 stable (64-bit).

However, a logfile is flooded by error messages from Linux — I have set to rotate /var/log/messages daily.

Yes, I can confirm, too. Gmail just sent me an invitation to the new version of its websites, yet blocked access after my username (email), before password input — saying something (approximate translation from Lithuanian):

This browser or application may be insecure.

Linux Vivaldi 4.2.2406.48 (64bit) at accounts . google . com / signin / v2 / deniedsigninrejected