3d acceleration nvidia driver

Hi,

I have a GTX 660 and installed the 390 nvidia driver, nvidia-settings and nvidia-xconfig in OctoPkg
I put kld_list=“nvidia-modeset nvidia” in rc.conf and enabled full force composition pipeline in nvidia-settings / xorg.conf. That removed screen tearing, but 3d acceleration isn’t working for some reason.

LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxgears gave this error message:

libGL: screen 0 does not appear to be DRI2 capable
libGL: MESA-LOADER: dlopen(/usr/local/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so)
libGL: Can’t open configuration file /usr/local/etc/drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL: Can’t open configuration file /home/nomad/.drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL: Can’t open configuration file /usr/local/etc/drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL: Can’t open configuration file /home/nomad/.drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext

Hi @n0mad,

which version of NomadBSD are you running? Is it running from USB or was it installed?

Latest version, it’s running on a usb powered external drive at the moment

Was the system installed via the NomadBSD installer?

No, it was just the live usb version from the site.

What does grep initgfx /etc/rc.conf say?
Did the automatic graphics driver detection and setup fail (e.g. VESA only, no GUI at all)?

initgfx_enable=“YES”

No it didn’t fail. There are symbolic links in /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions like libglx.so.1 that point to the /nvidia folder but that only contains folders and no files if that helps?

Ok. Deinstall nvidia-driver-390 (pkg delete nvidia-driver-390), remove /var/initgfx_config.id (rm /var/initgfx_config.id), and reboot.

ok I uninstalled and rebooted but there was no /var/initgfx_config.id

what does grep -i driver /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-video-initgfx.conf say?

vesa, openbox is super laggy now too

That means the autodetection failed. What does pciconf -lv | grep -B3 display say?

vgapci0@pci0:3:0:0: class=0x030000 rev=0xa1 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x10de device=0x11c0 subvendor=0x1458 subdevice=0x354e
vendor = ‘NVIDIA Corporation’
device = ‘GK106 [GeForce GTX 660]’
class = display

I think autodetection worked when i first installed it (before i installed the nvidia driver) I don’t remember it being this laggy

Is there an xorg.conf under /usr/local/etc/X11?

no

What does ls /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ say?

I removed the xorg.conf from /etc/X11/ after uninstalling the driver

00-video-initgfx.conf 10-input-touchpad.conf server-flags.conf
10-input-keyboard.conf files.conf

It’s against the purpose of the system, but you could make the graphics configuration static:

# sysrc initgfx_enable=NO
# pkg install nvidia-driver
# sysrc kld_list+=" /boot/modules/nvidia-modeset.ko /boot/modules/nvidia.ko"

Change the content of /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-video-initgfx.conf as follows:

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "NVIDIA CARD"
    VendorName    "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Driver        "nvidia"
EndSection

Reboot.

EDIT: Correct package name.

1 Like