How to connect to internet

I have install nomadbsd to my usb stick,I want to connect internet through mobile hot spot but failed.Can I use usb network sharing?How to do that?

You have provided very generic question like “how do I get to airport?”.
Please provide us with more details like where are you going from (what is your network adapter) and where are you you are trying to go to (connect to what mobile hotspot)? What device you are using for hotspot? Is your wifi device on host recognized by system? Some commands used for this is ifconfig, post that output so we can determine if wifi adapter is recognized by system. Good start would be https://wiki.freebsd.org/WiFi or https://wiki.freebsd.org/WiFi/FAQ

I want to surf through my mobile phone’s hotspot.I can connect to the hotspot,but it automatically disconnected a few seconds later.

I use my Samsung S9 as hotspot for my laptop, and here are steps I use on generic FreeBSD 13 setup that I have. I am sorry if this does not apply to Nomad, I have tried to run it on this Ryzen5 system, but FreeBSD was only system that I was able to get it running.

My USB Wi-Fi adaper is
rtwn0 on uhub1
rtwn0: <Realtek 802.11n WLAN Adapter, class 0/0, rev 2.00/2.00, addr 1> on usbus0
rtwn0: MAC/BB RTL8188CUS, RF 6052 1T1R

I had to edit /etc/rc.conf and add

wlans_rtwn0=“wlan0”
ifconfig_wlan0=“WPA DHCP”

Then modify /boot/loader.conf and add

legal.realtek.license_ack=“1”

Then
% sudo vi /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

and add

network={
        ssid="SamsungPhone"
        scan_ssid=1
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        psk="MyPhoneSecretPassword"
}

If I start my hotspot on phone before I turn on on computer I get:

% ifconfig

wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
	ether a0:f3:c1:25:f3:99
	inet 192.168.43.223 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.43.255
	groups: wlan
	ssid SamsungPhone channel 1 (2412 MHz 11g ht/20) bssid 6e:c7:ec:a2:e6:a6
	regdomain FCC country US authmode WPA2/802.11i privacy ON
	deftxkey UNDEF AES-CCM 2:128-bit txpower 30 bmiss 7 scanvalid 60
	protmode CTS ht20 ampdulimit 64k ampdudensity 8 shortgi -stbc -ldpc
	-uapsd wme roaming MANUAL
	parent interface: rtwn0
	media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet MCS mode 11ng
	nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

I would like to point out that I am newbie regarding wireless and that this might not be the best way to do it, but it works for me. Any suggestions are welcome.

1 Like