Fan of Nomadbsd

Within a short period of time, I have become a fan of nomadbsd. I will continue to use it regularly. And ask questions in case I need any help.

5 Likes

Thanks for your kind words and welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

I too have plans to become a huge fan; having a portable system that runs on (as hoped for) any computer (of reasonable age) would make taking my work home (or my hobbies to work) waaaaay easier. But, as of now, not really enjoying it (YET!) due to issues I cannot solve by myself.

I’m an advanced Mac user, am no stranger to the terminal, nor to CentOS and Ubuntu based server systems, but this – “this” being NomadBSD – is my first real attempt to use a linux desktop environment (and portable at that).

Surely, Ubuntu works, but who wants Ubuntu, when you can have BSD :grin:.

Keep up the good work, and thank you for all your effort, in past, present and future!

1 Like

What an amazing distro. Almost too easy to install on HD. I can’t begin to get any other BSD to look and act this good. Nice work!

3 Likes

Another fan here!
I really like this BSD distribution! Very handy, and so far has worked perfectly for me.

I run Debian on my personal computers, and Windows at work (where I don’t have a choice.) It is refreshing to run a non-Linux operating system other than Windows.

I am just getting started, so I will report back as I learn more.

2 Likes

Excelent work! I absolutely LOVE persistence! The only simpler portable system I tested till this one, was KNOPPIX, but for persistence install it was necessary to have TWO media: boot without persistence from the ISO install, than use a desktop shortcut to install with persistence on the SECOND USB. The only plus is that the first one might be a DVD-RW as it’s non-persistent.

@rmpel: BSD is NOT Linux! [We should try the BNL acronym like in GNU – except there’s no bird called BNL…] When it was created, UNIX evolved thru it’s initial release, System II, System III, System IV and than it forked into it’s main streams of System V and Berkley Standard Distribution, now called BSD (like Christianity went into Catholicism and Orthodoxy after the great schism of 1054). Linux was launched by Linus Torvalds waay later, in 1991 (like Martin Luther’s Protestantism in 1517 – to go on with my religious analogy). I like to ask kids at school (IT teacher here – if one didn’t figure out yet… :grin:) if they ever used Linux. A few hands usually rise up. Than I ask them to show me their smartphones and also if it is an Android device. They are puzzled to find that Android uses a Linux kernel… and that, together with embeeded systems makes total Unix installations surpass Micro$oft’s Windoze ones.

:slightly_smiling_face: NIKY :wink:

1 Like

Learning and enjoying NomadBSD 1.3.1.

History repeats itself… and it’s not the eternal return of Nietzsche.

When we were all using win95/98 some of us were curious about a thing called (GNU/) Linux. Then it became popular with Ubuntu.
This is the Ubuntu of BDS?

I have tested all four of its kernels: Free (stability), DragonFly (performance), Open (security), Net (portability) and Haiku (video), Minix (self-healing), OpenIndiana (elitist), Reactos (popular), FreeDos (simplicity), Kolibrios (speed)…

Although I still think that Linux is the most complete or balanced operating system… for now.

Lubuntu for the day to day, Slacko Puppy for rescue, Tiny core for antediluvian stuff and Slackware to learn how to compile old school.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Fan of Nomadbsd:

BeSad,

I share your opinion. Nietzsche and his ‘eternal recurrence’…ramblings of a syphilitic mind.

That gruesomeness aside, I have come to see NomadBSD as the Linux Mint of the BSD world. However, PC-BSD 7.1 was completely ahead of its time, I ran it on a Samsung NC10 and Acer Aspire One 150 with success. Just about everything work out-of -the-box.
On the other hand, my MacBooks had given me a beating before anything would work. (Boot issues, WiFi issue with bnw, sound issues, everything issues!!!) But we are Linux/BSD users because we are not averse to opening up a terminal and doing some ‘work’.

I eventually got GhostBSD 20 to work on a MacBook Pro Mid 2015 as well as NomadBSD. Linux Mint 19.3 functions obscenely well in every way.

Linux user since 1999. BSD user in the form of PC-BSD since 2010.

1 Like

absolute BSD !

1 Like

:100: :white_check_mark:

wanna program in unix ?

take the hightech language C !

don’t believe even there are so many called “best” languages out ?

here is the proof :slight_smile:

https://github.com/kozross/awesome-c

kindly regards
SM

1 Like